200 S Front St, Wheeling, WV 26003 | (304) 233-4640

Utility Assistance

WHAT: Under certain circumstances, a small pledge may be provided to assist with the payment of utility bills when a termination notice has been received.

WHO: Any household with a termination notice is only eligible to receive assistance once per year and twice in a lifetime.

WHEN: Do not wait until your service has been disconnected before asking for help.  Please allow four weeks from the time your request is received by our staff to the time the pledge is sent to the utility office.  Additionally, you must attend a budgeting class at the HOC before a pledge will be sent on your behalf.


  • Step 1: Contact a member of our Basic Needs Staff to discuss your situation.
  • Step 2: Attend a budgeting class at the HOC.
    • Classes are held twice each month, usually on Fridays.
    • You must bring your ID, Social Security Card, and your bill with termination notice.
  • Step 3: After attending the class, a pledge will be made on your bill. The check will be mailed to the utility office within two weeks of completion of the class.

For more information, please call the House of the Carpenter’s information desk at 304-233-4640.